If you were injured in a boating accident because of a boat owner’s negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Continue reading and reach out to our firm today to discuss the details of your case with our dedicated and experienced New York City personal injury attorney. Our legal team is committed to ensuring you obtain the compensation you need to move forward.
What is boating negligence?
In the state of New York, boat owners are held responsible for ensuring that they are implementing the proper safety precautions are implemented while the vehicle is on the water. This is done to ensure the safety of those on and around the boat. A boat owner may be negligent for the following:
- If he or she is not an experienced boater
- If he or she collides with another object because of inattentiveness, drowsiness, etc.
- If he or she does not provide proper safety equipment on board and someone becomes injured as a result
- If he or she operates the boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- If he or she causes an injury due to speeding
How can boat owners prevent accidents from occurring?
A boat owner must take on certain responsibilities to keep their boat in good condition. This assures that accidents cannot occur once the boat hits the water. The following are some of the things a boat owner should look out for:
- Any signs of blade pitting should be immediately addressed
- Be sure the vessel is not taking on water
- Check for scrapes on the hull
- Ensure the through-hull connections are not leaking
- Closely check the transom, cockpit, gunwales, and the outer edge of the bow
- Keep working flares on board in case of an emergency
- Make sure the anchor is firmly attached to the boat and has enough length of ground tackle
- Always keep an operating manual for the boat radio and engine on board
- Keep all safety equipment on board. This can include fire extinguishers, personal flotation devices, ventilation, backfire flame arrestors, sound-producing devices, and marine sanitation devices
- Keep important documents such as accident report forms, owner contact information, updated registration decal, marine towing membership card, Certificate of Number, and vessel registration
Can I recover compensation for a boating accident?
In the event that an individual is injured due to the negligence of a boat owner, they may want to hold them liable for their injuries and damages incurred. This must be accomplished through a personal injury lawsuit. This can be done by collecting evidence that supports the claim that the boat owner’s behavior directly caused the accident to happen, thus leading to their injuries. Proof can include pictures or videos of the scene, medical documentation of the injuries, and any witnesses.
Contact Our New York City Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Contact Swerling Law today to schedule your free initial consultation with our firm.