As summer is in full swing, swimming pools are one of the most visited areas. As a result, it is important that you take reasonable precautions to ensure that you and your loved ones stay safe. In the event that you were injured because of a pool owner’s negligence, you will need to reach out to our firm today to discuss your legal options. Our dedicated New York City premises liability attorneys are on your side. Give us a call today to get started on your personal injury claim.
What are the common causes of swimming pool accidents in New York?
In the state of New York, pool owners, like all other property owners, have a responsibility to ensure their property is safe for all of those who enter it. If a pool owner fails to keep their property safe, and an accident occurs, he or she may be held liable. This can be known as pool owner negligence. It is important to take the following steps so that you can avoid injuries in a pool:
- Inform swimmers of shallow areas where they cannot dive
- Do not leave a child alone in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people are not able to stand, make sure they are strong swimmers before allowing them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and make sure pools have drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Always swim sober
- Store away any movable ladders when the pool is not being used. Children who cannot swim are often drawn to pools and removing ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners would like to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
Can I pursue legal action after a swimming pool accident?
You must be capable of proving that your injuries are an immediate result of a negligent pool owner in order to seek a successful legal claim. In New York, there is a statute of limitations of three years, which means that if you fail to file your personal injury claim within three years of your pool accident, you will risk losing the opportunity to recover compensation entirely.
Personal injury claims are time-sensitive. Reach out to our experienced personal injury attorneys at Swerling Law to make sure that you are not missing any of your claim’s important deadlines.
Contact Our New York City Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Contact Swerling Law today to schedule your free initial consultation with our firm.