In New York, car accidents are unavoidable. If you were injured as a result of another negligent driver, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Contact our firm today to speak with a skilled New York personal injury attorney.
How do car accidents occur?
Car accidents can result in a number of different ways in New York. However, the most usual cause is driver negligence. Our firm has seen countless amounts of car accidents due to driver negligence. Some of the most common types of driver negligence include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Making illegal turns
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Driving recklessly by disregarding traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
What are my options if I was hurt in a car accident?
If you were injured as a result of another’s negligence, you will need to take the following measures:
- Call 911. The police will dispatch an ambulance, file an accident report, collect witness testimony, perform chemical tests, and any other necessary procedures.
- It is also important that you collect any contact information from witnesses to the accident. Witness testimony will be useful later on in your personal injury claim.
- Capture photos and videos of the damage done to all vehicles affected by the crash.
- Seek medical treatment, even if you do not feel hurt. In some cases, you can sustain an injury without knowledge, or have an injury that does not show symptoms until days or weeks later.
- Hire the services of a skilled personal injury attorney. With the help of an attorney, you can ensure that your claim will be timely filed, and you will have a skilled legal professional making sure that you obtain the compensation you deserve.
How long do I have to file a claim for car accidents in New York?
If you were injured in a car accident due to another’s negligence and you want to pursue legal action, it is imperative that you promptly file your personal injury claim. In the state of New York, the statute of limitations is three years. This means that you are expected to file your car accident claim within three years from the date of the accident in order to receive the compensation you deserve.
Contact an experienced personal injury attorney at Swerling Law today to get started.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.