Car Accident Attorney in Manhattan
The streets of New York City are widely known for their relentless congestion and reckless drivers. With so many cars, trucks, buses, and bicycles sharing the same space, it is inevitable that accidents happen – and they do every day. Car accident victims can suffer from serious injuries that have an impact on the rest of their life. When negligence plays a role in causing the accident, the injured party may want to consider his or her legal options. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident in New York City, it is important to retain quality legal guidance from an attorney that will fight for maximum compensation on your behalf. Swerling Law is committed to walking you through each step of the personal injury claims process. Contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.
What is Personal Injury Protection?
New York is one of many states throughout the country that offers personal injury protection to drivers. PIP is a form of no-fault insurance coverage, meaning that both parties involved in the accident will be able to have some of their medical bills and immediate expenses covered regardless of who was at fault. If PIP fails to cover all of your expenses after an accident, you should speak with an experienced attorney about your other legal options.
Car Accident Causes in NYC
Of course, several different factors may work together to cause an accident. While some of these factors can be attributed to negligence, it is important to look at the accident at all angles to look for other extraneous factors that could have caused the accident. Some of the many factors that may cause car accidents to occur in New York City include the following:
- Drowsy driving: Oftentimes, people think very little of driving home tired after a long day of work. Unfortunately, driving while drowsy or fatigued slows reaction time and drastically increases the chances of an accident occurring.
- Driving while intoxicated: Though everybody knows it is both illegal and unsafe to do so, this does not stop many from getting behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is the number one cause of car accidents here in the United States, and if you have been injured by someone who was texting/using a mobile phone while driving, eating while driving, or even applying makeup while driving, there is a very good chance you will be entitled to financial compensation.
- Speeding excessively: Speeding is also among the most common causes of car accidents. Speed limits are in place for a reason, and whether you are in a rush or not, you should always abide by them to ensure your safety and the safety of all others on the road.
- Failure to yield: While yield does not mean you must always come to a full stop, it certainly does not mean to keep going without looking. When a motorist ignores a yield sign and goes flying out into the road, serious accidents can occur as a result.
- Failure to abide by stop signs or traffic lights: It is rather obvious what can happen when someone chooses to ignore stop signs and traffic lights. The results are much the same as when someone ignores a yield sign. The bottom line is that everybody must obey all rules and regulations of the road at all times.
After an Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, the first thing you should do is call 911, permitted that you are able to do so. Emergency services will dispatch the police and an ambulance to the scene of the accident. They will be able to create a comprehensive accident report, as well as determine the cause of the accident, determine who is the negligent party, and more. Your injuries will be documented by the EMTs, which is also an important part of gathering evidence. However, while you wait for emergency services to arrive, you should ask the other motorist for his or her insurance information, while keeping conversation to a minimum. Ensure you never say “sorry” or apologize in any way, as oftentimes, the negligent motorist will use this against you in an attempt to claim that the accident was your fault.
From here, you should take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your car, the other motorist’s car, and any property that was involved in the accident. Next, you must ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their name, phone number, and email address, as they may corroborate your claim at a later date. Finally, once you are treated in a hospital and have recovered to a certain extent, the most important thing you can do is retain the services of a knowledgeable New York City personal injury attorney who has handled countless car accident cases in the past.
Am I Entitled to Compensation?
If you have been seriously injured in a car crash, you may be entitled to recover damages if the accident was caused by the negligence of another driver. Some of the damages that the injured party may be able to recover include additional medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, pain and suffering, and other burdens caused by the accident.
How Long Do I Have to Sue Someone For an Accident in New York City?
If you are someone who has been injured in a car accident, you may wish to wait to see if your injuries heal on their own before taking legal action against the party responsible. While we completely understand this notion, unfortunately, it is usually not the best idea. This is because in New York, as in all other states, there is a statute of limitations in place that dictates the amount of time individuals have to take legal action against a liable party after being injured in an accident. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York City is, generally, three years, you will, generally, have three years from the date of your accident to sue the party responsible. Do not wait any longer than three years to sue, for if you do, there is a very good chance you will be time-barred from doing so. Our firm is ready to begin the claims process on your behalf today–all you have to do is ask.
Contact a Manhattan Car Accident Attorney
Being seriously injured in a car accident can have significant physical, emotional, and financial burdens in your life. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, speaking with an attorney is essential. It is important to speak with an experienced injury attorney as soon as possible to assess your options. Contact a skilled and knowledgeable personal injury attorney at Swerling Law today and schedule a free consultation.