In the bustling metropolis of New York City, the unfortunate reality of accidents leading to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) is all too common. That said, traumatic brain injuries often have profound, life-altering consequences, and if you’ve sustained one due to no fault of your own, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Continue reading and contact a skilled New York City brain injury attorney from the Law Offices of Bryan J. Swerling to learn more about TBIs and how we can help if you’ve sustained one.
Brain Injury Attorney | Here to Fight for the Justice You Deserve
A skilled New York City personal injury attorney is indispensable in TBI claims. Just some of the ways in which our legal team can help are as follows:
- We provide crucial legal advice and guide clients through the complex legal process.
- We help gather and present compelling evidence.
- We advocate for the client’s best interests during negotiations or in court.
Common Causes of TBIs
TBIs are typically the result of a sudden, violent blow or jolt to the head. These can happen for a variety of reasons and in a range of circumstances, but some of the most common are as follows:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: The congested streets of New York are often scenes of vehicular accidents involving cars, bicycles, and pedestrians.
- Falls: Slip and fall incidents, especially in public places or workplaces, are significant contributors to TBIs.
- Construction Accidents: The city’s ever-evolving skyline comes with risks, particularly for construction workers.
- Sports Injuries: Contact sports can result in TBIs, even with protective gear.
- Assaults: Unfortunately, physical assaults are also a notable cause of brain injuries in urban areas.
Symptoms of TBIs
Recognizing TBI symptoms is crucial for timely medical intervention. If you notice any of the following symptoms, you should strongly consider seeking medical attention as soon as you can:
- Physical Signs: Headaches, dizziness, fatigue, and sleep disturbances.
- Cognitive Impairments: Issues with memory, concentration, and disorientation.
- Emotional Changes: Mood swings, depression, and irritability.
- Sensory Problems: Blurred vision, ringing in the ears, or a bad taste in the mouth.
Legal Process for TBI Claims
Filing a personal injury lawsuit for a traumatic brain injury is a document-heavy and sometimes complex process. A brief overview of the legal process for filing TBI claims is as follows:
- Gathering Evidence: This includes medical records, witness statements, and accident reports.
- Determining Liability: Establishing who is legally responsible for the injury.
- Calculating Damages: Assessing the full extent of losses, both economic and non-economic.
- Negotiating Settlements: Many TBI claims are settled out of court through negotiations with insurance companies.
- Litigation: If a fair settlement is not reached, the case may proceed to trial.
Compensation in TBI Claims
Victims of TBIs caused by negligence or intentional harm have the right to seek compensation. In a successful TBI claim, meaning in a claim where you can successfully satisfy the burden of proof, you may recover damages for the following:
- Medical Expenses: This includes hospital bills, rehabilitation costs, and any future medical care.
- Lost Wages: Compensation for time missed from work and potential loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: This covers physical pain and emotional distress experienced due to the injury.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: Compensates for the inability to enjoy hobbies and activities once cherished.
Contact an NYC Brain Injury Attorney Today
No one should have to face a life-altering TBI on their own. Contact a knowledgeable and dedicated New York City TBI attorney from the Law Offices of Bryan J. Swerling for a free consultation today.