When a personal injury accident happens, it can often be a frightening and confusing time. The process of pursuing legal action can enhance this feeling. It is because of this that it is beneficial to have an experienced New York personal injury attorney on your side to help you through this process. In doing so, there are ways to prepare for the initial consultation so that you are ready ahead of time. Continue reading to learn more.
What Should I Bring to my First Meeting?
In order for an attorney to take care of your case, you need to provide them with the necessary information regarding your case. This includes several documents and evidence about the accident that caused your injuries. While an attorney may be needed to gather some of this, there are certain simpler documents that you are able to bring to your first meeting. This can include the following:
- Pictures or videos of the accident
- Medical documents outlining the origin and extent of your injuries
- Police reports filed at the scene of the accident
- Your health insurance information
- Your auto insurance information, if applicable
- The contact information of any witnesses to the accident, including business cards, phone numbers, emails
- Any expenses you have undertook as a result of the accident, such as lost wages or hefty medical bills
Will my Attorney Ask me Other Questions?
The questions an attorney may ask you during an initial consultation can vary depending on the case, as every claim is different from one another. However, there are some basic questions that can be asked in any meeting. This can include details about the accident, where it happened, and why you want to recover compensation. This can include the following:
- How did the accident happen?
- How are you feeling now?
- Are you currently employed?
- Were you involved in an accident in the past? Was it your fault?
- Have you contacted yours or the negligent party’s insurance company regarding the accident?
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.