There are many actions a person can take while driving that can put them and others at risk for a car accident. Currently, the number one cause of automobile accidents in the United States is distracted driving. There are thousands of fatalities due to distracted driving accidents every year. It is because of this that all drivers should give the road their undivided attention at all times while operating a vehicle. If they do not, they can cause serious accidents that result in life-changing injuries for many. It is because of this that those who are injured in these accidents can pursue legal action with the help of a skilled New York personal injury attorney.
What Should I do After a Car Accident?
After an accident takes place, there are several things you should do that can help your chances of winning a lawsuit in the future. They are as follows:
- Call the police. This ensures the accident will be documented and an ambulance will be sent.
- Obtain the other driver’s insurance information. Be polite to them but be sure not to apologize, even if it is only out of courtesy.
- Take pictures of the accident. This can include damage to your car, the other driver’s car, and property.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information, such as business cards, phone numbers, emails, and more.
- After receiving treatment at a hospital, ask the doctor for all medical documentation relating to your injuries.
- Hire an experienced New York personal injury attorney for help gathering other evidence to satisfy the burden of proof.
How Long do I Have to Sue After an Accident?
In the state of New York, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is three years from the date of the accident. Simply put, the statute of limitations is a deadline by which the injured party is required to meet in order to pursue legal action and recover compensation for their damages. If they fail to meet the deadline, they can lose their opportunity to do so.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.