As a result of the Coronavirus outbreak, there are many products in high demand that have to get to stores faster than usual. It is because of this that we are likely to see more trucks on the road in the up and coming weeks. Due to their size, these are the most dangerous vehicles on the road, making it critical that they are operated safely. In the event that a truck driver is negligent, they can cause an accident and life-changing injuries to those involved. It is because injured parties can pursue legal action to recover compensation for these damages. Continue reading and reach out to an experienced New York personal injury attorney to learn more.
What are Causes of Truck Accidents?
There are several ways that a truck accident can happen on New York roads, including the following:
- Poor judgement: Dangerous driving errors, such as speeding, reckless driving, improper lane changes, making dangerous turns, following others too closely, and more, can lead to an accident.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers who do not give the road their full attention may not be able to slow down or navigate the vehicle in time to prevent an accident.
- Impaired driving: The third leading cause of truck accidents is non-performance errors, such as drivers who operate trucks under the influence, are drowsy, or suffer from a medical condition while driving.
- Vehicle malfunction: This may happen if the truck suffers from a defective part or malfunction on the road.
- Poor conditions: If a road is not maintained or if there is inclement weather, it can cause an accident.
Pursuing Legal Action
When a person is injured in a truck accident and wants to pursue legal action to recover compensation, they can file a personal injury claim. In doing so, they must prove the other party was negligent and their behavior directly caused the accident and their injuries. The negligent party may be the truck driver or a third-party. This can be proven with evidence such as medical records, a police report from the accident, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, and more. If the injured party is successful in proving negligence, they may be able to recover compensation as coverage for any damages that stem from the incident.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.