Every year, New Yorkers get the summer itch when the warm weather starts to creep in. With this, many people become excited to open their pools. While these are fun amenities to have during the season, it is important to make sure they are properly taken care of. Failure to do so can cause the pool grounds to become hazardous and potentially cause accidents, injuries, and sometimes death to unsuspecting people. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a New York personal injury attorney if you or a loved one was harmed in a swimming pool accident.
Pool Safety Precautions
When people have a pool on their property, they are required to make sure it is safe for all people who come onto the grounds. This is to avoid accidents and injuries from happening. Pool owners can do so by implementing the following safety precautions:
- Do not leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people are not able to stand, make sure they are capable swimmers before letting them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and be sure pools have drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Stow away any portable ladders when the pool is not being used. Children who cannot swim are often attracted to pools and removing ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners may wish to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Always swim sober
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
- Let swimmers know where there are shallow areas where they cannot dive
Recovering Compensation for Swimming Pool Accidents
In the event that a pool owner does not take care of their property and an accident happens, they can be held liable for the injuries or death that occurs. This can be done by the injured parties themselves or the loved ones of the deceased through filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim. During this time, they must prove negligence by showing their actions directly caused the incident. This can be done with evidence such as pictures or videos of the pool, medical documentation of any injuries, and witnesses to the incident.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.