There are many people who ride bicycles, whether it may be for transportation, leisure, or exercise. While they can be fun, it is important to remember that they can also be dangerous. This is due to the fact that they offer little to no protection from other vehicles or hazards on the road. It is because of this that all bike riders should be careful when riding so that they can try to prevent any accidents from happening.
As the month of May is National Bicycle Safety Month, this should be kept in mind when beginning to ride a bike as the weather continues to get nicer. Our experienced New York personal injury attorney has compiled a shirt list of ways that this can be done. Continue reading below to learn more.
- Be sure your bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out. This involves making sure the bike chain is in the right condition, its brakes are working properly, and the tires are filled to the appropriate air pressure.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. It is important to always ride your bike in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic. In addition to this, riders should also use hand signals when necessary so that they can prevent an accident from happening.
- Always wear a helmet. Helmets can save the life of a bike rider. While any helmet is better than none at all, it is best to purchase one that is in compliance with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards.
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. Bike riders are required to follow the rules of the road, just like all other motorists are as well. This includes obeying traffic signs lights, not riding under the influence, and much more.
- Make yourself visible. Before riding a bike, be sure to wear bright colors so that you are seen by other motorists. In addition to this, those who are riding at night should use reflectives so that you can be seen in the dark.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. While an accident may not always happen at your own expense, it is important to do everything you can to ensure it does not happen at all. This involves always being aware of your surroundings at all times.
These are great ways to stay safe while enjoying a ride on a bicycle. However, the reality of the situation is that accidents can happen even if you are being as safe as you can. In the event that you are involved in a bike accident due to negligence, you may be able to receive financial compensation for any damages. When pursuing legal action in these situations, it is beneficial to retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney for help.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.