When a person owns a property, they are legally required to make sure their grounds are taken care of and safe. This is done under premises liability law to ensure visitors on their property do not become harmed as a result of negligence. The law is the same for owners and managers of apartment buildings, office buildings, parking lots, stadiums, shopping centers, etc. There are many different ways that a property owner can fulfill their duty to keep a safe property. One of these includes proper security. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York personal injury attorney if you were injured on another’s property.
Why is Proper Security Important?
When people go anywhere, they trust that the property owners are staying on top of their lawful obligation to care for their grounds. This is because when a property owner fails to do so, it can cause serious injuries that have the potential to impact a person for the rest of their life. If a property owner does not have the right security in order to protect those on their grounds, there are many ways that an accident can happen. Examples of unjustified lack of security can include but are not limited to the following:
- A resident of an apartment building makes multiple complaints to a landlord about potentially dangerous people in common areas and the landlord does not take action
- There are no security guards where they are needed
- A property does not have security cameras to provide surveillance where it should be
- There is no working alarm in an elevator
- There are no security guards in a location where alcohol is served and intoxication can be a risk to public safety
- There are no working door locks for entryways of apartment buildings, allowing easy access for robbers
Security must be provided for residents, customers, visitors, etc. It is important to know that having property in a low income neighborhood is not an excuse for a landlord/property owner to not have adequate security provisions in place on their premises. If you sustained an injury due to a property owner’s lack of essential security, contact an attorney today to discuss your case and your options.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City car accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.