Texting and driving is the number one cause of car accidents in the United States. In fact, the Federal Communication Commission has stated that texting while driving is six times more likely to cause a car accident than drunk driving. Regardless of the dangers, drivers still continue to partake in this risky behavior. As a result, serious accidents can occur. Read on to learn more about texting and driving accidents in New York.
What Do I Do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you have been involved in an accident, it is important to take the following steps;
- Call 911: It is important that you call the police as they can call you an ambulance, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, obtain their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: It is important that you go to the hospital and have your injuries examined by a medical professional. This will ensure that your injuries are treated while simultaneously providing you with evidence of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney: An attorney may be able to gather further evidence, including police reports, security camera footage, and cell phone records.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have to do so within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. If you fail to file within three years, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation. In order to avoid this, it is important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Contact our firm today to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. We are here to fight for you to recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.