Despite individuals being on lockdown during the Coronavirus, there has been an increase in traffic accidents. When a driver is negligent on the road and does not drive safely, they can cause devastating accidents as a result. This can also lead to severe injuries that have the potential to impact a person for the rest of their life. If you find yourself in a traffic accident, it is important to know what to do. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a New York personal injury attorney for assistance with your case.
What do I do After an Accident?
Regardless of the type of vehicle you are driving, there are certain steps that should be implemented after an accident takes place. This can include the following:
- Call the police even if the other party tells you not to. The police can keep the scene safe, draft an official police report, take witness statements, and more.
- Do not apologize. While it can be an impulse to apologize for your involvement in an accident, this can sometimes be seen as an admission of fault. Instead, be polite and avoid apologies.
- Take pictures or video of the scene. This can include broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, and bloodstains as well as poor weather or road conditions.
- Record important information. Be sure to obtain contact information from any witnesses and document the registration information of the vehicles involved before leaving the scene.
- Seek medical attention immediately even if you do not feel injured. This is because symptoms can show up later on. Be sure to see a doctor for an official diagnosis.
Pursuing Legal Action
When a traffic accident occurs, injured parties can file a personal injury claim to pursue legal action and hold the negligent party liable for their involvement. In order to be successful, the individual must prove negligence took place and directly caused the accident as well as their injuries. This can be done with evidence such as medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness statements, a police report, and more. If successful, the injured party may be able to recover compensation for any damages due to the accident.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a personal injury accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.