The roads of New York are very busy and can often be chaotic. If drivers are not paying attention or operating their vehicle negligently, they can cause a serious car accident. These situations can result in life-changing injuries or even death. If you were involved in a car accident, it is important to know how to handle the situation so that you can aid the success of a future personal injury claim. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a New York personal injury attorney for help with your case.
What do I do After a Car Accident?
After a car accident happens, it is important to remain calm so that you can keep a clear head. This will allow you to best handle the following steps:
- Call the police. This should be done even if the other party tells you not to. The police can keep the scene safe, draft a police report, take witness statements, and conduct any chemical tests.
- Do not apologize. While it is understandable that it can be an impulse to do so, this can sometimes be seen as an admission of fault. Instead, simply be polite, avoid apologizing, and contact the necessary emergency services.
- Take pictures or video of the scene. This can include any broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, and bloodstains. Also document any poor weather or road conditions.
- Record important information. Be sure to obtain the witnesses’ contact information and document the registration information of all vehicles involved.
- Seek immediate medical attention even if you do not feel injured, as it is possible for injuries to show symptoms later on. While emergency responders can do medical examinations on the scene of an accident, be sure to see a doctor later on for an official diagnosis.
Pursuing Legal Action
When a car accident happens due to negligence, the injured parties can pursue legal action to hold the driver responsible for their actions. This can be done by filing a personal injury claim in which the individual is required to prove negligence. This can be done with the help of an attorney in conjunction with the evidence gathered from the scene of the accident. If the injured party successfully proves negligence, they may be able to recover compensation for any damages due to the accident.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City car accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.