When people go to the doctor, they do it with trust that they will be taken care of properly. However, if medical professionals fail to meet the standard of care that they are obligated to provide, this is known as medical malpractice. In these situations, patients can suffer lifelong burdens as a result. If you believe you were the victim of malpractice, it is important to retain the services of an experienced New York medical malpractice attorney for assistance in building a case.
Types of Malpractice Injuries
There are a variety of injuries that a person can sustain due to medical malpractice. This is dependent upon the medical situation the individual was in. The following are different types of injuries that occur as a result of negligence:
- Cerebral Palsy: This type of injury can occur when there are complications during pregnancy, thus causing damage to a baby’s brain. This can cause physical issues such as mental handicaps, speech impairment, hearing problems, sight problems, difficulty walking, seizures, muscle spasms, and more. This injury can occur if a doctor fails to detect or treat infections during pregnancy, monitor fetal heart rate, detect a prolapsed umbilical cord, or perform a cesarean when necessary.
- Erb’s Palsy: This injury is the paralysis of the arm due to an injury of the upper arm’s nerves. This can occur as a result of a complicated birth. A doctor can cause these injuries if they are forceful in delivering the baby or use improper instruments.
- Failure to Diagnosis: If a doctor fails to diagnose a disease, this can cause more suffering to a patient. If a patient is wrongfully diagnosed or not diagnosed at all, they can face serious consequences for leaving a disease untreated.
- Surgical Errors: Fairly straightforward, this is when a medical professional makes a mistake during surgery that could have been preventable. Examples of this can include nerve damage, not administering anesthesia correctly, making a wrong incision, leaving surgical equipment inside a patient, or giving the wrong medical treatment.
- Medication Errors: Health care providers must be cautious when prescribing, administering, filling, and assessing medication they give patients. Failure to screen patients for risk factors or allergic reactions, medication mix-ups, or incorrect dosages can cause serious suffering or even death.
Pursuing Compensation for Malpractice Injuries
When facing a medical malpractice lawsuit, it is crucial for victims to have an aggressive attorney on their side to prove their claim. This is because they are required to prove a number of things during a malpractice case. This includes showing they were a patient of the physician and the physician strayed from the accepted standard of care, thus causing their injury. If they successfully show the professional breached their duty of care, they may be able to recover compensation from the professional to pay for damages due to their negligence.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City car accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.