In New York, property owners are responsible for keeping the premises safe at all times. This is especially true if they own pools, as pools can be extremely dangerous. If a pool owner acts negligently, serious accidents can occur. If this happens, those involved in the accident may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about pool accidents in New York.
Pool Safety Precautions
Both pool owners and swimmers must be careful around the water. As a result, it is important to take the following precautions:
- Do not leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people are not able to stand, make sure they are capable swimmers before letting them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and be sure pools have drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Stow away any portable ladders when the pool is not being used. Children who cannot swim are often attracted to pools and removing ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners may wish to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Always swim sober
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
- Let swimmers know where there are shallow areas where they cannot dive
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to pursue legal action, you must do so as soon as possible. This is because of the statute of limitations. In New York, the statute of limitations is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover compensation. Three years may seem like a long time, but it is easy to let important deadlines slip by while you are recovering from an injury. Reach out to an experienced attorney to ensure that your deadlines are met.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pool accident in New York City, you may be entitled to recover compensation for burdens such as lost wages, loss of enjoyment of life, and more. Our firm will fight to help recover the compensation you deserve. Reach out today to discuss your case.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.