It is important that you do not post on social media after filing a personal injury claim. To learn more continue reading and reach out to our skilled and dedicated New York City personal injury attorneys.
Why should I avoid posting on social media after I filed a personal injury claim?
Most of the time, when filing a claim against a negligent party, you are often dealing with their insurance company. It is important to understand that insurance companies will want to get to the point, rather than help the injured party. Because of this, social media accounts may be observed to bring claims against them to catch if they post anything that even remotely disputes their claim. For instance, if you are claiming that you broke your arm as a result of another’s negligence, but then post a picture of you playing basketball, the insurance company can use that evidence, even taken out of context to prove that “you are not really injured.” That is why you should refrain from posting until your claim is determined to make sure that there were no issues stopping you from obtaining the compensation you need to feel whole again.
What are the best things you can do after being injured in an accident?
- Adjust your social media accounts to private.
- Put your accounts on private and evade accepting any new follow requests unless they are from people you know personally.
- If you fail to do this, you may be accepting a request from someone from the other party trying to collect your information.
- Hold off on posting statements or photos.
- You may accidentally disclose fault if you tell the story of your accident. Even the smallest mistake can impact your case.
- Forewarn your friends and family.
- You should ask that your friends and family do not post any photos of or with you during this time.
- Do not post too often.
- Your emotional anguish can be a big role in your personal injury case. If you post too often, you may seem emotionally untouched. Also, if you comfort your friends and family that you are doing well, you are also giving the defense access to these statements, which can be used to their benefit.
If you were injured as a result of another’s negligence, you may be qualified to obtain compensation for your injuries. It is in your best interest to reach out to our firm today to learn more about the following steps with your claim. Our skilled New York City personal injury attorneys are on your side.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.