Supermarket accidents occur often, and they can result in serious injuries. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents in New York and what to do if an injury occurs.
How do Supermarket Accidents Occur?
Supermarket accidents can happen for a number of reasons. The majority of accidents occur as a result of:
- Potholes in parking lots
- Water spilled on restroom floors
- Improperly positioned floor mats
- Slippers entrances and exits
- Inadequate security
- Unstable displays
- Broken grocery carts
- Spoiled food
- Aisle obstructions
- Falling debris
- Falling items from shelves
What Kind of Injuries Result From Supermarket Accidents?
Supermarket accidents often involve slip and falls. As a result, the most common injuries include:
- Cracked pelvis
- Fractured skull
- Cuts and bruises
- Fractured wrists
- Fractured arms
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head wounds
What do I do in the Event of an Injury?
If you have been injured in a supermarket accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will need to provide proof of negligence. In order to do this, be sure:
- Notify management before leaving the store so they can write up an accident report. Be sure to write down the manager’s name and try to obtain a copy of their accident report.
- Take pictures and videos of the conditions that caused you to become injured.
- Obtain the contact information of any bystanders. These witnesses may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- It is also important to seek medical attention at either the emergency room, with your own doctor immediately, or at an urgent care facility. A doctor will be able to document all of your injuries, which can be crucial when trying to recover damages. Be sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Make sure to file your personal injury claim on time. In New York, the statute of limitations is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured in a supermarket accident, you will need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Reach out to our firm to discuss your case.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.