When we get in the car as a passenger, we expect that the driver will be safe and responsible. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and accidents do occur. When a driver is negligent behind the wheel, they can cause dangerous accidents that result in life-changing injuries for passengers. When this happens, injured passengers may be able to hold the driver liable. Read on for more information regarding car accidents in New York.
What Are Common Causes of NYC Car Accidents?
Accidents can occur for a number of reasons, but, for the most part, accidents are a result of driver negligence. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Drowsy driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Distracted driving
- Excessive speeding
- Failure to yield
- Failure to abide by stop signs or traffic lights
What Do I Do After an Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, you will have to prove that this negligence occurred. In order to do this, there are certain steps you should take after an accident occurs:
- Call 911. The police can help direct traffic at the scene, file an accident report, gather witness statements, and conduct chemical tests. This information will all be important when it comes to a personal injury case.
- Seek medical attention. If you are involved in a car accident, it is likely that you have sustained an injury. It is important to go to the hospital to ensure that your injuries are treated, while simultaneously providing proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Document the scene. It is important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. If you are the passenger, you should make sure to take your own photos, rather than relying on the driver’s evidence. It is important that each party has its own evidence.
- Obtain witness contacts. This is important because you and the driver may have conflicting views regarding how the accident occurred. If anyone saw the accident happen, ask for their contact information as they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Retain the help of a skilled personal injury attorney. An attorney may be able to gather further evidence, including security camera footage and police reports.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a vehicle due to the driver’s negligence, reach out to our firm today to discuss your case.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.