Trucks are some of the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Their size and weight make them extremely hazardous. As a result, truck accidents can have serious consequences. As a result, it is important to know how these accidents are caused. Read on to learn more about truck accidents in New York.
How Are Truck Accidents Caused?
Some accidents are a result of poor road or weather conditions, but most accidents are a result of driver negligence. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Poor judgment: Dangerous driving errors, such as speeding, reckless driving, improper lane changes, making dangerous turns, following others too closely, and more, can lead to an accident.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers who do not give the road their full attention may not be able to slow down or navigate the vehicle in time to prevent an accident.
- Impaired driving: The third leading cause of truck accidents is non-performance errors, such as drivers who operate trucks under the influence, are drowsy, or suffer from a medical condition while driving.
- Vehicle malfunction: This may happen if the truck suffers from a defective part or malfunction on the road.
- Poor conditions: If a road is not maintained or if there is inclement weather, it can cause an accident.
What Are The Most Common Types of Accidents?
The following are the most common types of truck accidents:
- Jackknife accidents: These occur when a truck’s trailer is swinging independently of the cab, with both sections of the tractor-trailer moving in different directions.
- Rollover crashes: One of the most common types of truck accidents, these usually occur when a truck rounds a corner too quickly, causing the center of gravity to shift the wrong way.
- Rear-end accidents: Truckers are responsible for applying the brakes at the right time. Doing so in a truck is very different than in a standard automobile, which is why all truck drivers must allot a sufficient amount of time and space to brake safely and properly.
- Truck driver DUI accidents: Everybody knows it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, though unfortunately, people still do it. Truckers, just like everyone else, drastically increase their risk of having an accident if they drive under the influence.
If you have been involved in a truck accident, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced attorney.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.