Everyone celebrates the 4th of July differently, but lighting off fireworks is a popular tradition. If you plan to light fireworks, it is important to be safe and prepared. Read on to learn more about preventing firework accidents in New York.
When it comes to fireworks, serious accidents can happen. As a result, it is important to do your research and fully prepare beforehand. In order to prevent accidents, be sure to adhere to the following:
- Do not buy fireworks that come in brown paper. These are professional fireworks that should not be used in small neighborhoods.
- Make sure adults are present and children are never accessing fireworks
- Keep water nearby, such as a hose, in the event that a fire starts
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never light fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Be sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Keep your pets inside so they do not become scared or hurt
Once you know that you have purchased legal fireworks and made sure the scene is safe, you should:
- Wear eye protection at all times
- Only light one firework at a time
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Never light fireworks in your hand
- Be sure all spectators are at a safe distance away from the display
- Quickly back a safe distance away after lighting the display
- Never throw or point fireworks at another person
- Never pick up and relight a firework if it did not properly combust
- After a firework goes off, wait 20 minutes then douse it with cool water
- Never consume drugs or alcohol while lighting fireworks
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you are injured at a friend or family’s house, or an event, due to a firework accident caused by negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. To recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill your claim in time. In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean losing your opportunity to take legal action. Reach out to an experienced family law attorney to discuss your case right away.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.