Golf is a fun summer activity, but it can be more dangerous than you may realize. Golf cart accidents cause serious and even deadly accidents. Read on to learn more about golf cart accidents and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do Golf Cart Accidents Occur?
There are a number of ways for a golf cart accident to occur. Often, golf cart accidents are a result of:
- Passengers overcrowding the cart
- Distracted drivers
- Reversing downhill
- Extremities outside of the cart
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Inattentive drivers
- Sharp turns
- Leaving the brake unlocked upon exiting
What do I do if I am Injured in a Golf Cart Accident?
If you were injured in a golf cart accident, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene- Take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their name and contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention- It is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. As a result, it is important to seek medical attention immediately after your accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
What is the Statute of Limitations in New York?
In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to file your claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover compensation. Three years may sound like a long time, but when recovering from a serious injury, it is easy to let important deadlines slip by. Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your case.
If you have been injured in a golf cart accident, our firm is here to help. Reach out to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.