The Fourth of July is an exciting holiday that usually comes with big celebrations. Traditionally, this usually includes a variety of fireworks all across the state of New York. While these are a fun way to celebrate the birth of our country, it is crucial to remember how dangerous they can be if they are not used safely. If you are hosting this year’s Fourth of July celebration with fireworks, there are many precautions to implement in order to ensure the safety of yourself as well as your guests. Continue reading below to learn more.
Safety Tips for Preparation
People are often very eager to begin setting off their fireworks. While this is understandable, it is important to not jump into doing so. Instead, there are a variety of simple safety precautions that should be taken to prevent an accident from occurring, such as:
- Do not buy fireworks that come in brown paper. They are professional fireworks that should not be used in small neighborhoods.
- Make sure adults are present and children are never accessing fireworks
- Keep water nearby, such as a hose, in the event that a fire starts
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never light fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Be sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Keep your pets inside so they do not become scared or hurt
What do I Need to Know About Lighting Fireworks?
Once you set up the fireworks property and can begin to light them, you should be just as cautious when igniting them. The following are critical safety considerations that should be remembered during this time as well as throughout the firework display:
- Wear eye protection at all times
- Only light one firework at a time
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Never light fireworks in your hand
- Be sure all spectators are at a safe distance away from the display
- Quickly back a safe distance away after lighting the display
- Do not throw or point fireworks at another person
- Never pick up and relight a firework if it did not properly combust
- After a firework goes off, wait 20 minutes then douse it with cool water
- Never consume drugs or alcohol while lighting fireworks
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City personal injury accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.