When people think of potentially dangerous situations, this rarely ever involves being located in a retail store. However, it is possible for accidents to happen anywhere at any time. An accident may take place in a retail store in the event that the property owner does not take care of the grounds and it becomes hazardous as a result. When this happens, it can cause serious injuries to those who are involved. If you were injured in a retail accident, continue reading below and contact an experienced New York personal injury attorney.
How Can a Retail Store Accident Happen?
There are many different ways a retail store accident can happen in New York. Oftentimes, negligence is the main cause. If a property owner does not take care of the premises, certain hazards can arise that threaten the safety of shoppers. Common hazards that can cause accidents in a retail store can include poor security, poor lighting, uneven walkways, spilled liquids, merchandise falling from shelves, and more.
What Should I do After a Retail Store Accident?
After an accident happens, it is always important to stay calm so that you can handle the situation with a level head. This is necessary so that you can take the proper steps that increase your chances at a successful claim, such as:
- Call the needed emergency services for police assistance and medical attention
- Get the contact information of any witnesses so they can corroborate your claim later on
- Notify the store owner so an incident report can be filed and you can receive any surveillance footage of the accident that may exist
- Recover all documentation regarding your injuries from your doctor
- Hire an experienced New York personal injury attorney to gather evidence and effectively present it to the court
- After the claim is filed, avoid social media so that nothing you post can harm your claim
What is the Statute of Limitations?
When an injured party wants to pursue legal action after being involved in an accident, it is important that they not wait too long to do so. This is because there is a deadline on filing a personal injury claim. If they do not meet this deadline, the individual may lose their right to legal action and therefore not be able to recover compensation for their suffering. In the State of New York, the statute of limitations for personal injury accidents is three years from the date of the injury.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.