If you were injured in a stairwell accident as a result of another’s negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Contact our firm today to speak with one of our seasoned New York personal injury attorneys about the specifics of your case.
What are the common causes of stairwell accidents in New York?
Stairwell accidents can occur in New York for several different reasons. However, the most common cause is a result of negligence. The most typical causes of stairwell accidents include, but are not limited to:
- Damaged stairs
- Insufficiently lit stairwells
- Lack of security
- Uneven spacing between steps
- Defective or broken railings
What should I do if I was injured in a stairwell?
If you were injured because of another’s negligence in a stairwell, it is essential that you gather as much evidence as possible following your accident. If you are able to, take these steps:
- Call 911 – the police will file an accident report and dispatch an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- Take photos and videos of the scene, including the hazardous conditions in the stairwell that caused the accident and the injuries sustained as a result.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses to the scene of the accident. It is likely that they will be able to support your version of the events.
- Seek medical attention and make sure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for medical documentation that shows proof of the origin and severity of your injuries. This will be a key component of your future personal injury claim.
- Retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney that can assist you to obtain additional evidence that can be an important part of your case. An attorney can also help you through the beginning, middle, and end of the claims process and ensure you are meeting all of the important deadlines.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in New York?
The statute of limitations in New York is three years for most personal injury claims. This indicates that if you do not file your stairwell accident claim within three years from the date of your accident, you will not only lose the chance to file entirely, but you will also lose the opportunity to recover the compensation that you deserve.
Personal injury claims are pressing. Do not wait to reach out to an experienced New York personal injury attorney today to get started on your claim.
Contact Our Experienced New York City Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.