Of course, the death of a loved one is always difficult. However, if his or her life was cut down short in an unwarranted accident, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation so you can receive some semblance of justice. If your loved one has recently lost his or her life, you must continue reading to learn more about how our firm can work to help you and your family get back on your feet again. We understand that this is an emotional time in your life, which is why we promise to provide honest, compassionate, and knowledgeable legal assistance in your time of need. Please read on and speak with our New York wrongful death attorneys to learn more about how we can help.
How do I know if the death of my loved one qualifies as a wrongful death?
In New York, there are several specific criteria that a death must meet for it to be considered technically “wrongful.” They are as follows:
- There was, in fact, a death
- The death occurred due to another party’s negligence
- You must prove that if the fatally injured person had lived, the action against them would have been considered illegal
- The deceased individual leave behind a family who suffered a significant financial loss due to their loved one’s untimely passing
- The grieving party deserves financial compensation for their loss
How do I recover financial compensation following the death of a loved one?
In New York State, if you are the personal representative of the estate, you will have to be the one who brings the wrongful death lawsuit to court. That being said, it is the representative’s job to seek financial compensation for the family affected by the wrongful death. To prove that your loved one should still be alive today, you will need an experienced attorney on your side who is capable of recovering evidence like security camera footage of the accident, pictures of the safety hazard that caused the accident, medical records relating to the death, police reports of the incident, eyewitness statements, and more. This compensation may cover the cost of the following:
- Funeral costs
- Loss of inheritance for surviving children
- 9% interest on the recovery awarded, which starts at the date of the death
- Support and services provided for the grieving family that the deceased once provided
- Lost wages and benefits
- Health care expenses associated with the accident
Contact our experienced New York City firm
If you have been injured in a New York City car accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.