When a person is involved in a serious personal injury accident, it can result in damages that have the potential to impact them for the rest of their life. It is because of this that many victims seek compensation through legal action against the negligent party that is responsible for the accident. This can be accomplished with the assistance of an experienced New York personal injury attorney. When meeting with a personal injury attorney for the first time, it is important that you know what to expect so that you are prepared.
What Should I Bring to the Meeting?
When going to meet with a personal injury attorney for your first consultation, it is important to be proactive and gather any necessary documentation. This allows the attorney to have a thorough understanding of the accident you were involved in and the injuries you sustained. Important documentation that should be brought to the meeting can include:
- A written description of the accident. This should describe a detailed, chronological outline of what happened.
- The police report from the scene of the accident. This provides another perspective of the accident as well as any information on whether any parties were ticketed or arrested.
- Any witness names and contact information so they can provide testimony later on.
- Your medical records to prove your injuries.
- Receipts of any expenses such as out-of-pocket expenses for medical treatment and in-home care that are a result of your injuries
- Photos or videos of the accident and your injuries
- Your insurance information, including health, automobile, renter, or homeowner policies.
- Any contact with the other party or their insurance. This can include letters, emails, phone calls, etc.
- Any questions you may have for the attorney regarding your case
What Questions Will I Be Asked?
While documentation can help, it may not always be enough to understand the case. It is because of this that the attorney tends to also ask questions such as the following:
- What injuries do you have? How are you feeling?
- Have you seen a doctor? What was the prognosis?
- Did you talk to any other lawyers or insurance representative about the incident?
- What medical and automobile insurance coverage do you have?
- Did you give a statement about the accident to your insurance company?
- Where are you employed/what do you do? How long have you worked there?
- Have you ever been in an accident before?
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City car accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.