Nowadays, we spend a lot of time in the supermarket. For many people, it is our only opportunity to get out of the house. Unfortunately, it is easy to become injured in a supermarket, and these accidents are actually common occurrences. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents in New York City and what to do in the event of an injury.
Causes of Supermarket Accidents
You may not realize it, but there are a lot of ways an injury can occur in a supermarket. The most common causes of supermarket injuries include:
- Falling product displays
- Trip and falls
- Slip and falls on spilled liquids or leaking freezers
- Broken shopping carts
- Inadequate security
What do I do After an Accident?
There are a few important steps to take after an injury occurs:
- Take pictures and videos of the conditions that caused you to become injured.
- Notify management before leaving the store so they can write up an accident report. Be sure to write down the manager’s name and try to obtain a copy of their accident report.
- Obtain the contact information of any bystanders. These witnesses may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- It is also important to seek medical attention at either the emergency room, with your own doctor immediately, or at an urgent care facility. A doctor will be able to document all of your injuries, which can be crucial when trying to recover damages.
- Make sure to file your personal injury claim on time.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to take legal action, you will need to make sure you file your personal injury claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. Generally, in the state of New York, you will have three years to file your personal injury claim. This means that if you fail to file your claim within three years of your accident, you will most likely lose the opportunity to recover compensation. To avoid missing any important deadlines, contact a personal injury attorney.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a supermarket accident, contact our firm today. We understand the serious impact an injury can take and we are here to support you every step of the way.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.