If you are from New York City, you know how difficult it can be to cross the street. Pedestrians share the bustling roads with cars, bikes, and busses. As a result, pedestrian accidents occur often. If you are injured by a vehicle in New York City, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in New York City and what to do in the event of an injury.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can be caused by a number of factors. Some accidents are a result of driver negligence, while others are due to pedestrian negligence. Sometimes, an accident can be caused by hazardous road conditions. Some of the most common causes of accidents include:
- Speeding drivers
- Driving without headlights at night or in bad weather
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drivers that do not pay attention to crosswalks, stop signs, or street lights
- Pedestrians who cross the road outside of the crosswalk
- Pedestrians who are not paying attention where they walk
- Roads that have obstructed visibility
Can I Recover Compensation for a New York City Pedestrian Accident?
In some cases, if you are injured by a vehicle in New York City, you will be able to recover compensation. There are two types of compensation you may be eligible to receive:
- Economic damages: can include medical expenses, lost wages, the cost of rehabilitation, the need to hire in-home care, and more.
- Noneconomic damages: can include pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have to make sure to file your personal injury claim on time. In the state of New York, you will generally have three years to file a claim. This means that if you fail to file within three years from the date of the accident, you will most likely lose the chance to recover compensation. To avoid this, you should retain the help of an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a New York City pedestrian accident, contact our firm to speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney today. We understand the toll an injury can take and we will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.