According to a report from the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. More than 42,000 people are estimated to have died on U.S. roadways last year, the largest motor vehicle death tally in 13 years. With accidents on the rise, it is important to know what to look out for. Read on to learn more about car accidents in New York.
What are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents can occur for any number of reasons. Some reasons include inclement weather, poor road conditions, and faulty car parts. But, the majority of car accidents are a result of driver negligence. Some of the most common forms of negligence include:
- Drowsy driving: Driving while drowsy or fatigued slows reaction time and drastically increases the chances of an accident occurring.
- Driving while intoxicated
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is the number one cause of car accidents here in the United States.
- Speeding excessively: Speeding is also among the most common causes of car accidents.
- Failure to yield
- Failure to abide by stop signs or traffic lights
What do I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will have to prove that this negligence occurred in order to recover the compensation you deserve. In order to prove negligence, you should:
- Call 911: The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document any damage done to all cars and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: Go to the hospital immediately after your accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you have been injured in a New York City car accident, contact our experienced firm to discuss your case today. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through the process each step of the way.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.