Because of all the skyscrapers, many buildings in New York City have elevators. As a reuslt, it is important to know how elevator accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Unfortunately, these accidents can be incredibly serious and have life-altering consequences. Read on to learn more about elevator accidents in New York City.
What are Common Causes of Elevator Accidents?
Many elevator accidents are due to faulty parts, malfunctions, or failed upkeep. Some of the most common examples of this includes:
- Control system malfunction
- Door operator errors
- Mechanical breakdowns
- Drive malfunction
- Improper installations
- Pully system malfunction
- Negligent elevator design
- Power failures
- Failing to keep equipment up-to-date
- Faulty wiring
- Abrupt stops
What Do I Do if I am Injured in an Elevator Accident?
Elevator accidents may be a result of product liability or premises liability. In either case, it is important to provide proof of negligence. In order to do so, you should:
- Call 911. The police can help if the elevator is stuck and they can call an ambulance to the scene.
- Document the scene: One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that led to your accident.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone was in the elevator with you, or saw the accident occur, be sure to ask for their contact information, as they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: It is imperative that you visit the doctor immediately after your accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents and bills.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney may be able to obtain further proof, such as security camera footage and other evidence you may not otherwise have access to.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an elevator accident in New York City, contact our experienced firm today. We are here to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.