When a car accident occurs, you may find yourself taking legal action to recover compensation for your injuries. But, this can be difficult if you do not remember what happened, or you and the other driver have different opinions about what happened. If this occurs, you may benefit from car accident reconstruction. Read on to learn more.
What is Accident Reconstruction?
Car accident reconstruction is often used to help prove fault in a car accident lawsuit. To achieve this, an expert examines the case to recreate the scene of the accident in order to reach conclusions regarding the crash and events leading up to it. This is done through the following methods:
- Visiting the scene of the accident
- Inspecting the damage done to all vehicles
- Reviewing any medical records of injured parties
- Studying the police report
- Examining pictures/videos of the accident/scene
- Interviewing witnesses
- Studying debris, point of impact, skid marks, etc
Who Could Need an Accident Reconstruction?
Car accident construction is not necessary in every accident case. Individuals who may benefit from accident reconstruction are those who may be facing the following situations:
- They do not remember how the accident happened
- There are few or no witnesses
- The vehicles are totaled and cannot be repaired
- It is complicated to prove liability
- Victims suffered severe injuries or died
- Pieces of important evidence are missing
How Can Accident Reconstruction Help a Case?
You may be wondering what accident reconstruction can show. Some of the factors that may be determined through accident reconstruction include:
- The vehicle speeds and movements
- The crash scene physics
- The accident sequence of events
- The vehicle positions
- The magnitude of impact
- If those involved were wearing seat belts
- If visibility was an issue and why
- If vehicle lights were used
- Steering angles
- If brakes were used leading up to the crash
- If a vehicle accelerated before collision
- If engine indicator lights went on
- If cruise control was engaged
By showing proof of these factors, you may be able to determine who was at fault for the accident and recover the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in New York, contact our experienced firm today.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.