New Yorkers know how busy the streets of NYC can be. Car accidents are an unfortunately common occurrence. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event of an accident. Read on to learn more about car accidents in New York.
What to Know About Recovering Compensation
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be facing a number of serious burdens. An injury can take a serious toll mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred to cause your accident. In order to provide this proof, you should:
- Call 911. The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, obtain witness statements, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Politely ask the other party for their name, contact, and insurance information. Be sure to keep the conversation to a minimum and avoid apologizing, as this can be used against you during a personal injury trial.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, you should ask for their name and number. They may be able to corroborate your version of events, which can play a large role in a personal injury case.
- Document the scene. If possible, you should take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to capture any damage done to all vehicles and property involved.
- Seek medical attention. Be sure to go to the hospital immediately after your accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced attorney. A personal injury attorney may be able to obtain police reports, security camera footage, and other information you may not otherwise be able to access.
- File your claim on time. The statute of limitations for a personal injury claim in New York is generally three years from the date of the accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in New York City, contact our firm to speak with a skilled and dedicated attorney today.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.