New York City streets are incredibly dangerous. Cars, pedestrians, bikers, rollerbladers, etc. share the roads at all times. This makes NYC roads especially dangerous. With all the hustle and bustle, it is inevitable for accidents to occur. As a result, motorcycle accidents are common, and their results can be devastating. Read on to learn more about motorcycle accidents in New York City.
How do Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
Motorcycle accidents can happen in a number of ways. Due to the dangerous nature of motorcycles, it is easy for an accident to occur. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Driving while smoking or eating
- Disciplining children while driving, causing the motorist to take his or her eyes off the road
- Using an electronic device while driving, texting or otherwise
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Navigating maps or directions while driving
- Failing to comply with traffic signs, lights, and other rules of the road
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, be sure to:
- Wear a bodycam while driving: Many motorcyclists choose to wear a camera while driving. This can provide you with actual footage, should an accident occur. Additionally, you should take photos and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Call 911: It is important to call 911 right away. The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Obtain witness contacts: If someone saw your accident occur, he or she may be able to corroborate your version of events. If possible, ask for this individual’s name and contact information.
- Seek immediate medical attention: You should visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before you leave, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant documents.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: An experienced attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage.
- File your claim on time: In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.