In a high-traffic area like New York City, car accidents are inevitable. When negligent drivers are the cause of injuries and financial burdens, victims may want to consider potential legal claims. If you’ve wrongfully sustained an injury in a car accident, the experienced New York City personal injury lawyers at Swerling Law are committed to walking you through each step of the personal injury claims process. Contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.
What should you do after a car accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, the first thing to do, if possible, is call 911. This will dispatch the police and an ambulance to the scene of the accident. While waiting for emergency services, it is important to ask the other motorist for their insurance information, while keeping other conversation at a minimum to avoid confrontation. Once the police and paramedics arrive, they will create an accident report as well as document the injuries sustained. This documentation will be crucial to a future personal injury claim.
Another important post-accident step is to take photos of the scene of the accident. This includes any damage to your car, the other motorist’s car, and any other property involved in the accident. Furthermore, if there were any witnesses to the accident, asking them for their name, phone number and email address may be useful to have for your future claim. Lastly, once you have recovered to an extent from the accident, the most important step is to retain the services of a knowledgeable NYC personal injury lawyer that has experience with automobile accident cases.
What are car accident causes in NYC?
The streets of New York are rarely quiet. Several factors may play into the cause of an auto accident. Some of the many factors that may cause car accidents in New York City include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is the number one cause of car accidents in the United States. If you have been injured in a car accident by someone who was texting or using a cell phone while driving, eating while driving, or applying makeup while driving, there is a high probability that you may be entitled to financial compensation.
- Driving while intoxicated: Although widely known, this does not prevent those under the influence of drugs or alcohol from getting behind the wheel.
- Speeding: speeding is another common cause of car accidents. Speed limits should always be abided by to ensure safety.
- Drowsy driving: driving while tired or fatigued slows down the reaction time and increases the chances of an accident occurring.
- Failure to abide by stop signs or traffic lights: When someone chooses to ignore stop signs and traffic lights, consequences can be predictable. It is important that everyone obeys all rules and regulations of the road at all times.
Are you entitled to compensation?
If you have faced injuries as a result of a car accident, you may be entitled to recover damages if the accident was caused by the negligence of the other motorist. Injured parties may be able to recover damages from medical treatment and bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other burdens that stem from the accident.
Contact Our Experienced New York City Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.