It is important to be aware of the many risks a swimming pool poses. Swimming pool accidents are usually the result of a negligent pool owner and can cause significant physical, emotional, and financial burdens on the injured party. If you were hurt in a swimming pool accident, it is in your best interest to reach out to one of our experienced New York personal injury attorneys at Sterling Law to discuss your options.
What are the common causes of swimming pool accidents in New York?
In the state of New York, pool owners, like all other property owners, have a duty to ensure their property is safe for all of those who enter it. If a pool owner fails to keep their property safe, and an accident occurs, he or she may be held responsible. This can be referred to as pool owner negligence. It is important to take the following precautions to avoid injuries in a pool:
- Let swimmers know where there are shallow areas where they cannot dive
- Do not leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people are not able to stand, make sure they are capable swimmers before letting them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and be sure pools have drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Always swim sober
- Stowaway any portable ladders when the pool is not being used. Children who cannot swim are often attracted to pools and removing ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners may wish to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
Can I pursue legal action after a swimming pool accident?
You must be able to prove that your injuries are a direct result of a negligent pool owner in order to pursue a successful legal claim. In New York, there is a statute of limitations of three years, which means that if you fail to file your personal injury claim within three years of your pool accident, you will risk losing the opportunity to recover compensation.
Personal injury claims are time-sensitive. Do not wait. Contact our experienced personal injury attorneys at Swerling Law to ensure that you have met all of the important deadlines.
Contact Our Experienced New York City Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.