How do motorcycle accidents occur in New York?
Motorcycle accidents can occur for several different reasons. Sometimes they are a result of inclement weather conditions, poorly maintained roads, or faulty mechanical parts. However, most of the time, motorcycle accidents are the result of driver negligence. Some of the most typical types of driver negligence that our firm has seen include the following:
- Ignoring blind spots
- Driving while sleepy or fatigued
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Disregarding traffic lights, signs, or all other rules and regulations of the road
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Is a motorcyclist covered under personal injury protection in New York?
Unfortunately, in the state of New York, motorcyclists are not covered under personal injury protection. Personal injury protection (PIP) is no-fault insurance that covers medical expenses and lost wages after an auto accident. If you are not covered under PIP, you will be responsible for your own medical expenses, except if you have your own health insurance or are able to collect damages from the person that is liable for your accident.
It is in your best interest to retain the services of an accomplished personal injury attorney to ensure that you and your future are protected.
Can I recover compensation after a motorcycle accident?
You will need to meet the burden of proof if you were injured in a motorcycle accident and would like to recover financial compensation. This implies that you will need to provide as much evidence as possible in order to have a successful claim. Be sure to take the following steps immediately after your accident, if you are able:
- Call 911. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident, as it can help your case. In some cases, motorcyclists might wear bodycams so that they have the footage in the event that an accident occurs.
- Seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents pointing to the severity and origin of your injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced New York personal injury attorney that can help you obtain more evidence that can be key to your claim.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured in a New York City accident, Swerling Law is here to help. Our firm understands the challenges that many people face after being hurt in an accident and is prepared to help you receive an award of significant compensation to ease some of your burdens. To schedule a consultation with an experienced construction site accident attorney in New York City, contact Swerling Law today.